Message from the Director
Mission - College of Business Administration
We advance knowledge and develop business leaders with moral courage and creative confidence to be a force for good in the global community.
Message from the Director
It is a pleasure to report on the significant developments and impact of LMU’s Institute for Business Ethics and Sustainability (IBES) since its launch in fall 2017. Unifying the important work in business ethics and sustainability being done throughout the College of Business Administration (CBA), IBES was created to be a center of excellence to advance ethical reasoning and principled business leadership with a focus on sustainable development.
During these past two years, a number of key initiatives have been implemented, anchoring the work of IBES and positioning the institute for further growth and expansion:
- The CBA has developed a new mission statement and strategic plan highlighting business as a force for good, with a focus on moral development and moral courage as a foundation for engaged global citizenship.
- The CBA became a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME), committing to the integration of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into curriculum, research, program development and business collaboration initiatives.
- Expanded the International Business Ethics and Sustainability Case Competition (IBESCC). Dozens of teams from multiple continents participate in this annual competition, applying ethical reasoning to practical business issues and to their impact on the SDGs.
- Sponsored the Dreier Chair in Accounting Ethics Distinguished Speaker Series, which brings industry leaders to campus to discuss vital issues in accounting and governance ethics.
- Inaugurated the Business as a Force for Good Annual Ethics Symposium. Each of our past symposia examined critical business ethics and/or sustainability issues: “Artificial Intelligence and Ethics” and “The New LA: Climate, Collaboration and Real Estate."
- Launched CBA Night at the Movies, a monthly documentary screening followed by a panel discussion with industry leaders examining documentary themes and their business relevance
- Initiated the Business and Faith Series, an exploration of critical business issues informed by the wisdom of various religious and faith traditions.
With each of these initiatives, our focus has been to:
- Highlight ethics and ethical reasoning
- Profile applied ethics, environmental consciousness, and social responsibility for the 21st century organization
- Create vehicles for professional impact, student development and business collaboration.
To all who have participated and supported IBES – we extend a heartfelt thank you!
Director, Institute for Business Ethics and Sustainability