The LMU Fred Kiesner Center for Entrepreneurship began teaching financial literacy in the summer of 2015. Due to growing demand, we scaled the program to serve more youth and young adults in Southern California.
A partnership between the FoolProof Foundation and LMU College of Business Administration, The Save It Forward Initiative is a social venture that combines FoolProof's industry leading online financial literacy platform with the mentorship of LMU undergraduate students to promote economic equality and advance financial literacy, empowering the local community with the knowledge and skills to make a lifetime of healthy financial decisions.
This free virtual program is an opportunity for youth and young adults in the Los Angeles area to gain knowledge of personal finance topics such as healthy skepticism, budgeting, investing, credit and more!
Dates for the virtual summer program are July 10 - August 4, 2023. There will be an in-person kickoff event on Friday, July 7 at 6 p.m. and awards ceremony on Monday, August 7 at 6 p.m. - both held on the LMU campus.
How It Works
The Save It Forward Initiative at LMU:
- Addresses cycles of economic inequality by teaching financial literacy and life skills
- Cultivates relationships between LMU and local middle school, high school and community college students
- Develops mentorship skills for current LMU undergraduate students
LMU undergraduates undergo dedicated, hands-on training in order to guide students in the Los Angeles area through a 7-week program. When students teach, they learn. And when youth have positive "near-peer" mentors to learn from, the value of their education extends far beyond financial literacy.
- Virtual program will take place July 10 - August 4, 2023.
- Over the course of 7 weeks, participants will complete 7 financial literacy modules at their own pace.
- Participants can expect to commit 2-4 hours per week.
- Participants can earn awards and prizes for strong participation, and completion and understanding of the materials.
- LMU student mentors will check in with each student and help with the modules.
"I think this is a curriculum that should be taught to all teens. The world would be a different place if young people started out with financial literacy." - Parent
"I really enjoyed the experience, and I learned a lot about managing and saving money, credit, and investing. The skills and knowledge I obtained during this class will undoubtedly serve me well both now and in the future, and I will definitely put them into practice." - Student
"This was such a valuable life skill class that they can put into action as they grow into their adult independence." - Parent