Strategic. Specialized. Conscientious.
The LMU M.S. in Taxation curriculum provides students with the technical knowledge, analytical thinking and communication skills to be accomplished and ethical leaders in the tax profession. When combined with additional accounting and business coursework, this program complies with the 150-hour California requirement for CPA licensure. Non-business undergraduates will need significant coursework in addition to the M.S. in Taxation to meet licensure requirements.
Students who have completed the prerequisite coursework before starting our program may complete the M.S. in Taxation in 1 year on a full-time basis or 2 years on a part-time basis for a total of 30 units. Students requiring more flexibility or who need to take prerequisite courses as additional units have the option to extend the program up to 4 years.
Graduates of the LMU M.S. in Taxation will:
- Possess the knowledge and skills to apply key business and individual taxation concepts in a relevant setting.
- Demonstrate effective use of current technologies applied in the field of taxation and in the broader business environment.
- Possess critical thinking skills and the ability to integrate relevant concepts.
- Have the ability to communicate complex issues effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate the research skills necessary to appropriately resolve complex tax issues.
- Be able to explain how tax policy can benefit society and reduce societal inequities across diverse groups and individuals.
In Demand Competencies
All M.S. in Taxation students complete the following core courses:
- Tax Research and Strategy
- Income Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders
- Taxation of Flow-Through Entities
- Taxation of Individuals and Family Wealth
- Tax Technology and Transformation
- Accounting Research and Communication
Students will select 12 units of electives based on their desired area of focus:
- International Taxation
- State and Local Taxation
- Accounting for Income Taxes
- Income Taxation of Property Transactions
- Tax Practice and Procedures
In addition to the electives offered within the M.S. in Taxation, students may select M.S. in Business Analytics courses, M.S. in Accounting courses or up to 6 units from MBA Program elective courses on a space-available basis provided the student meets any course prerequisite requirements. Students may also elect to complete a 3-unit internship credited as an elective.