David Stewart, Ph.D.President's Professor of Marketing
Office: Hilton 319
Areas of Expertise
- Marketing and Public Policy
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Communication
- New Product Development
David (Dave) Stewart earned his B.A. in psychology from Northeast Louisiana University and his M.A. and Ph.D. in psychology from Baylor University. Dave has held faculty and administrative roles at Vanderbilt University, USC and the University of California, Riverside. He currently serves as editor of the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing and has previously served as editor of the Journal of Marketing and the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. Dave has authored or co-authored more than 225 publications and eight books. His research has examined a wide range of issues including marketing strategy, the analysis of markets, consumer information search and decision making, effectiveness of marketing communications, public policy issues related to marketing and methodological approaches to the analysis of marketing data. In 2007, Dr. Stewart was award the Elsevier Distinguished Marketing Scholar Award by the Society for Marketing Advances and in 2006, he received the American Academy of Advertising Award for Outstanding Contribution to Advertising Research for his long-term contributions to research in advertising. Dave currently lives in Playa Vista with his wife, Lenora.
- PhD: Baylor University (1974)
- MA: Baylor University (1973)
- BA: Northeast Louisiana University (1972)
- Handbook of Persuasion and Social Marketing, Three Volumes (New York: Praeger). (forthcoming 2014).
- Return on Marketing: Measuring the Value of Marketing, The MASB Project (with Craig Gugel). (forthcoming 2014).
- Marketing Champions: Practical Strategies for Improving Marketing’s Power, Influence and Business Impact, (New York: Wiley Interscience, 2006). (with Roy Young and Allen Weiss.) (translated into Chinese, Russian and Portuguese language editions).
- Seizing our Destiny: Leading Economic Redevelopment at the Epicenter of the Housing Crisis, in Lessons In Leading Change: Learning From Real World Cases, (Oxford, UK: RossiSmith, 2012), pp. 13-24.
- Secondary Analysis and Archival Research: Using Data Collected by Others, in Harris Cooper (Ed.), APA Handbook of Research Methods in Psychology, Volume 3, Chapter 24, (Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association, 2012), pp. 473-484.
- A Comment on the Ontology of “Dominant Logics” in Marketing, in Rajendra S. Sisodia (ed.), Legends in Marketing: Philip Kotler, (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2012), 334-340.
- Defining Interactive Social Media in an Educational Context in Charles Wankel (Ed.), “Cutting-edge Social Media Approaches to Business: Business Education,” Research in Management Education and Development, Volume 9 (Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2010), pp. 7-38. (with Aditi Grover).
- The Evolution of Marketing Research (2010), in Pauline Maclaran, Mike Saren,Barbara Stern, and Mark Tadajewski (Eds.), The SAGE Handbook of Marketing Theory, (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2010), pp. 74-88.
- Learning to Improve: Advertising Research that Guides Practice, International Journal of Advertising, 2011, 30 (5), 786-789.
- Quality Perception of Private Labels: Effects of Intransient Cues and Consumer Characteristics, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 2011, 28 (6), 448-458. (with Yongchuan Bao, Shibin Sheng, and Yeqing Bao).
- Social Media Tools: What Are Our Universities Doing? (2011), Global Business & Economics Anthology, 2011, 30-36. (with Aditi Grover).
- How Relevancy, Use, and Impact Can Inform Decision Making: The Uses of Quantitative Research, Journal of Advertising Research, 2011, 51 (1), 195-206. (with Michael Hess). DOI: 10.2501/JAR-51-1-195-206
- Consumer Behavior in a Multichannel, Multimedia Retailing Environment (2010), Journal of Interactive Marketing, 2010, 24 (2), 86-95. (with Utpal M. Dholakia, Barbara E. Kahn, Randy Reeves, Aric Rindfleisch, and Earl Taylor). (doi:10.1016/j.intmar.2010.02.005).
- The Purpose of University Education, The Psychologist-Manager Journal, 2010, 13 (4), 244-250. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10887156.2010.522480).
- Customer Experience Management in Retailing: Understanding the Buying Process, Journal of Retailing, 2009, 85 (1), 15-30. (with Nancy M. Puccinelli, Ronald C. Goodstein, Dhruv Grewal, Robert Price and Priya Raghubir).
- Marketing Accountability: Linking Marketing Actions to Financial Results, Journal of Business Research, 2009, 62 (June), 636-643. (doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.02.005).